Dave's Workshop
Bathroom Vanity

Dave's Workshop Home - Current Projects - Completed Projects - Metalworking
Teamcasa Main Home Page

New Bathroom Vanity Cabinet - Walnut

 

Done with woodworking~
The basic plan. I rarely follow plans that closely, I make changes along the way.  For instance, the doors, originally a frame and panel, are now curved to match the curvature of the face frame.

 


The legs were turned on the lathe and then fluted on the router table.

 


The bent laminated walnut face rails. I made a form from MDF, cut three pieces from the panel to match the curve my wife wanted for the vanity.  The walnut was re-sawn into 1/8 strips, glued with Titebond II and clamped onto the form.
Lessons Learned:  Make a matching form for the top.  Glue the MDF together into one solid block.  Line the form with 1/8 cork.  Use a polyurethane glue to allow for a long open time.  Buy more clamps!

 


Construction and assembly of the face frame.  As space is limited, I decided to make the face frame, make and fit the doors and drawers first.  This will allow me to store the flat parts until the casework is complete.
Lesson learned: Have a space designated to store face frame and still easy access for measurements.

 

   

 
Using the MDF forms I made for the rails, I duplicated 5 additional pieces for a total of 8 inside forms.  I copied the inside curve to made 8 outside form.  To index them, I inlayed a piece of plywood scrap then space them evenly.  The curved sides were lined with 1/8" plywood and covered in cork.  I also covered the cork with Saran Warp.  I then created the wood sandwich from one 1/8" birch plywood, two 1/4" pieces of luan bending plywood and the outside was 1/8" walnut veneer.  After dampening all of the sheets with damp towel I covered one side with Gorilla glue, and clamped the wood sandwich into the form.
Lessons Learned:  Have help this form. It is heavy and hard to maneuver by yourself! In Addition make the wood sandwich larger.

 


Here is the first fitting of the doors.

  
For creating the beading, double stick tape to a cutoff section of the door to insure
an accurate profile.  Rough cut the profile leaving sufficient material for the bead.

 
Bead bit is covered by a 1/4" scrap to act as the profile guide.


Finished Bead molding that matches the door profile.

 

 
Clamping the bead molding on the doors
Lesson learned: Make clamping blocks that create a 90 angle for clamping.  Fire some brads into the door leaving a 1/16" proud and clip the heads.  This will prevent the beading from slipping during clamp up.


All of the drawers are dovetailed, half blind front and through dovetails in the rear.
I used the Leigh Dovetail Jig used to make the drawers.
I made the drawers faces larger than the frame and planed them for an exact fit.
Lessons Learned: The bushings must be dead center and concentric in the router base.

 

Clamping the drawer cases to the face frame.
I made the drawer slides as well.  - Oak and Birch.  I used a dovetail bit in the router table.

Finished with the woodworking, now to the sink and countertop!

 

Here is the completed bathroom vanity complete with granite top and Grohe fixtures.

 

 


Mirror Wall Cabinet NEXT!